934 Patterson AveNUE
Built as a two-story headquarters for a 1,400-acre ranch then two miles from San Antonio, the Argyle was named by a developer for having a setting similar to his Argyleshire homeland in Scotland. A third floor and the southwest wing were added and the building opened as a hotel in 1891. In 1907 the front three-story verandahs were replaced with the Argyle’s signature columns and deeper verandahs, giving the building the aura of an antebellum mansion. The Argyle was purchased in 1955 and renovated as a private club benefitting what is now San Antonio’s Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research.
‘San Antonio Architecture, Traditions and Visions’, AIA San Antonio, 2007