Anton Wulff House
107 King William StREET
The Anton Wulff house, which anchors the upper end of King William Street, reflects the Italianate style popularized by Andrew Jackson Downing. Ornamental frame verandahs and a half-basement offered respite from the Texas heat. Wulff, who was city commissioner for parks, also landscaped the original lush surrounding gardens that extended to the nearby San Antonio River. The house was restored as offices for the San Antonio Conservation Society in 1975. In 1982 the two-story limestone August Stuemke barn was relocated to the grounds from its downtown location at 215 North Flores Street.
‘San Antonio Architecture, Traditions and Visions’, AIA San Antonio, 2007
The Anton Wulff House, 107 King William Street
The Anton Wulff House is an excellent example of the Italianate style popular in the 1850s; it features a gabled roof, paired windows, a Tuscan tower and decorative porch overlooking King William. Built from local limestone, the top of the main façade features a portrait sculpture of Wulff’s daughter Carolina crafted by her brother Henry.
At the entrance of King William Street from St. Mary’s Street sits a unique house with a square tower. It was built about 1870 by Anton Wulff, a German national, who came to San Antonio from New Braunfels in 1850.
In San Antonio, Anton Wulff became a commission merchant, doing business on Military Plaza. In 1891 he was alderman at large for the city. It is said that Mayor James French (1875-1885) appointed Mr. Wulff to a position similar to a park commissioner because of the great interest he had shown in landscaping the city’s plazas. It was he who laid out Alamo Plaza. Mr. Wulff died in 1894.
In 1902 the house was purchased by Arthur William Guenther for $7000. Arthur William Guenther for $7000. Arthur was one of the ‘sons’ in CH Guenther & Sons but had decided to break away from the family to start the competing Liberty Mill with his neighbor, Gustav Giesecke (218 Washington). In 1953 the Guenther heirs sold the house for $20,000 to F.G. and Katheryn Antonio to be converted to apartments. They sold the property to Roy Akers; possibly there were plans for a funeral home but that never happened. In November of 1964, the home was purchased by the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners for use as the headquarters of Local Union No. 14. In 1974, the San Antonio Conservation Society purchased the property to use as a headquarters and hired O’Neil Ford and Associates to oversee the yearlong restoration effort. The building still serves as the Conservation Society’s headquarters.
‘The King William Area, A History and Guide to the Houses’, Mary V. Burkholder and Jessie N.M. Simpson; published by the King William Association, 2017