1040 E Commerce STREET
The earliest known owner of this one-story stuccoed-limestone house was George Schroeder, who lived here until 1910. Italianate details add a sophisticated note to an otherwise vernacular, symmetrical-plan residence, a good example of a typical late nineteenth century San Antonio house. E.H. Yturri owned the home from 1936 to 1965. Renovated by the City Water Board (now the San Antonio Water System) as a museum, the house later became vacant.
From ‘San Antonio Architecture, Traditions and Visions’, AIA San Antonio, 2007