526 E Nueva StREET
These two domestic structures illustrate the evolution of local building techniques in early to mid-nineteenth century San Antonio. The rear house is presumed to be that of Dolores Alderete, given possession of the land by the Spanish government in 1812. It is of a palisado construction, its walls of vertical poles laced together and plastered with a mud mixture. The front house was likely built after Englishman Robert Caile purchased the property in 1857. It is a two-room residence of stuccoed caliche block with two rooms added in the late 1800s. Both houses are now roofed with standing-seam sheet metal and have been converted to residential and office use.