The Sckerls House is reminiscent of the Prairie Style with Craftsman influence. The wide eaves, overhangs, porch columns and full front porch are of the Prairie Style.
Charles and Minnie Sckerls built the house at 328 Madison in 1913 as an investment. In the June 6, 1913 edition of the San Antonio Light, architect Ernest P. Behles advertised for bids to construct the ‘two-story brick apartment house of Madame C. Sckerls, Madison St.’ Further evidence that the house was constructed in 1913 is a Mechanic’s Lien filed in September, 1913, against this property by J. W. Hailey, a carpenter, claiming that the building contractor, F. W. Marx, failed to pay him. Different renters lived there until the Sckerls’ granddaughter, Linda Epps Shea, sold the house to George and Clara Hawn Carter in 1941. Mrs. Carter lived in the house until the early 1980s, and the property was sold to Edward Kern in 1981, Patrick Conroy and Paula K. Shireman bought it in 2000 and converted the existing duplex to a single-family home.
The King William Area, A History and Guide to the Houses, Mary V. Burkholder and Jessie N.M. Simpson; published by the King William Association, 2017