303 DEvine Road
With the Webb and Newton houses around the corner on East Olmos Drive, the Robertson House forms what is likely the finest trio of late 1920s residences in San Antonio. Bowman’s design, featured in the April 1930 issue of The Architectural Forum, takes its inspiration from the great villas of the Veneto, though on a much smaller scale. In the true tradition of the Italian villa, the second floor contains the greatest room, a vast drawing room that bisects the second floor and is apparent on the exterior in the form of the arcaded loggia overlooking the sweeping front lawn. The only element needed to complete the mood would be replacement of Devine Road with a body of water.
‘San Antonio Architecture, Traditions and Visions’, AIA San Antonio, 2007