257 Yellowstone Street
This small oasis on Mission Road beside the San Antonio River was originally part of the lands of nearby Mission Concepción. The house is a rare survivor of the type of small farmstead once common along the river. Near his mill, Manuel Yturri Castillo built this house, one of the few documented specimens of adobe construction in San Antonio. Yturri’s granddaughter willed the property to the San Antonio Conservation Society in 1961. Under Marvin Eickenroht, the society reconstructed the mill and later added two historic structures to the site, the wood frame Ogé carriage house (1875), relocated from the King William area, and the caliche block and stone rubble Postert house (circa 1855). The property is operated as a house museum.
‘San Antonio Architecture, Traditions and Visions’, AIA San Antonio, 2007