The Ogé House
209 Washington Street
Built for Newton and Catherine Mitchell, who owned a large tract of riverfront land, this was the first substantial structure in the King William historic district. It was originally a two-story raised cottage with half basement, much like the neighboring Blersch House. Its imposing, Charleston-like appearance is the product of a wholesale remodeling assigned to Alfred Giles by Louis Ogé in 1882. Giles’ design added a third story, an expansive columned verandah and, on the second floor, a nicely detailed entrance and exceptional Palladian opening. The house was converted to apartments in the 1940s and is now a bed and breakfast.
‘San Antonio Architecture, Traditions and Visions’, AIA San Antonio, 2007
The Ogé House, 209 Washington Street
The Ogé House has an imposing Neoclassical façade, which has two and a half stories visible. The wide entrance steps leading to the second story, which draw the eye to the roof line and pediment, contribute to the grand appearance of the structure. This stately mansion did not always look as it does today, nor was Louis Ogé (O-zhay) its first owner. It began as a one-story house with a raised basement built around 1857 by Newton A. Mitchell. That same year he married Catherine Elder, sister of Malvina Nelson (See 202 King William). It was probably their first home. From 1862 there were other owners. The pictorial map for 1873 shows it as a one-story structure. The pictorial map for 1873 shows it as a one-story structure. Louis Ogé came to Texas in 1845 with Henri Castro, who, with his colony of Alsatians, founded the town of Castroville. Among other things, Mr. Ogé became a rancher.
In 1881 he purchased this house and had it remodeled by Alfred Giles into its present Neoclassical style. After he died in 1915, his widow, Elizabeth, lived in the house until about 1942. In 1948, Mrs. Clare Schuhardt rented rooms here, and by 1954, the house was listed as the Steward Apartments. Over time, it was owned by Marshall Steves, Lowry L. Mays, and then, Walter Mathis. In the 1990s, it became the Ogé House Bed and Breakfast and is now owned by Donald P. Noble.
The King William Area, A History and Guide to the Houses, Mary V. Burkholder and Jessie N.M. Simpson; published by the King William Association, 2017